OUT PROFESSIONALS WELCOMES YOU TO NOSH-AND-WALK A NEIGHBORHOOD ONCE MORE TEEMING THAN BOMBAY.
On Saturday, May 5, Out Professionals’ unique nosh-and-walk tour lets you experience the historic Lower East Side, a neighborhood once more teeming than Bombay. From the 1880s through the 1930s, some 1.5-million Eastern European immigrants — the largest concentration of Jewish people in the world — were beginning their American lives here.
Take a step back in time with a tour of the tenements, settlement houses, home life, literary culture, and religion of early 20th century immigrants. Remnants of the institutions that improved their lives survive next door to their modern equivalents, which still strive to help people into this constantly changing neighborhood.
The afternoon’s highlights include viewing, although not entering:
• The historic Forward Building, home to the world’s largest Yiddish newspaper
• Seward Park Library, center of reading and education for generations|
• Eldridge Street Synagogue, the first in the U.S. built by Jews of Eastern Europe
• The Tenement Museum, which dramatizes living conditions of the period
• The Educational Alliance, a settlement house started by immigrants that spawned Jewish artists and politicians of renown.
Enjoy the chance to purchase noshes (small tastes) of the foods that immigrants brought with them and that became synonymous with the Lower East Side.:
• Candy at the store whose slogan is “anything can be covered in chocolate”
• Pickles extraordinaire
• Bialys named “Best in the US”
• Doughnuts to die for
• Coffee from freshly-ground beans
• Gluten-free baked goods
• Gourmet hotel-lobby pastries
• Vintage bonus: Discover a storied source of rock ‘n roll clothes and accessories!
Out Professionals’ private Walking Tour/Mixer series is designed for us — and you — by Joyce Gold History Tours of New York. Joyce teaches Manhattan history at New York University and the New School.
Tour begins at 2 p.m. sharp, rain or shine. We meet on Straus Square, at the corner of East Broadway and Rutgers Street. Subway: F train to East Broadway. Questions? Consult MTA Trip Planner. Tour ends on Orchard Street, between Broome and Delancey. Open-ended networking mixer to follow nearby; refreshments on your own.
Nonmember, $30. Dues-paying OP Member, just $20. Noshing on your own. The personalized nature of our tours requires us to limit the number of participants. Sorry, no exchanges or refunds. Pre-registration ends at noon Friday, May 4. Print and pocket a copy of your online receipt; thanks! At the door, space permitting, cash only.
OUT PROFESSIONALS REWARDS YOU
WHEN YOU JOIN OR RENEW NOW
As a registered nonprofit, Out Professionals relies on our Members’ continuing support. Enjoy a 12-month Individual OP Membership PLUS admission for one to today’s Nosh-and-Walk Tour for just $75. Or tour and enjoy the expanded benefits of Business Membership — just $125. All sales final. As a Member you enjoy free entry to every month’s OP.LOUNGE and free or discounted admission at other OP events. Join or renew here — and thank you!