OUT PROFESSIONALS’ HALLOWEEN ADVENTURE ROAMS GREEN-WOOD, LANDMARKED RESTING PLACE OF THE FAMOUS SINCE 1838.
On Saturday, October 29, Out Professionals roams Brooklyn’s Green-Wood, an urban oasis of camera-worthy art, architecture, and landscape design, designated a National Historic Landmark.
Timed for fall foliage and designed by Walk About New York, this unique tour highlights the resting places of noted gay men and lesbians, including:
- Jean-Michel Basquiat (“Believe it or not, I can actually draw.”)
- Composer Leonard Bernstein (“Candide,” “West Side Story”)
- Lyricist Fred Ebb (“Cabaret,” “Chicago”)
- The 19th-century Liberace, composer/virtuoso Louis Moreau Gottschalk
- Dr. Richard Isay, crusading psychiatrist and gay-rights advocate
- Oscar- and Grammy-winning songwriter Paul Jabara (“Last Dance”)
- Violet Oakley, path-breaking muralist and stained-glass artist
- Sculptor Emma Stebbins, creator of Central Park’s Bethesda Fountain
According to Walk About New York’s founder, Phil Desiere, “Because of the ground we cover and the hilly terrain, I’d call this more of a hiking tour than a walking tour. Travel light and wear comfortable shoes.” The tour ends with a visit to Green-Wood’s Historic Chapel, designed by Warren and Wetmore, creators of Grand Central Terminal.
Tour takes place rain or shine. We meet between 1:15 and 1:30 p.m. (not a minute later!) at Green-Wood’s iconic brownstone gate at Fifth Avenue and 25th Street in Brooklyn. Subway: R train to 25th Street. (Best to consult MTA Trip Planner in advance.) Turn right on exiting; walk one block uphill to the Gothic brownstone gate.
Nonmember, $30. Dues-paying OP Member, just $20. The personalized nature of our tours limits the number of participants. To avoid disappointment, register before 11 p.m. on Friday, October 28. Pocket a copy of your online receipt; thanks! At the door, space permitting, cash only.
IT PAYS TO BE AN OP MEMBER!
A 12-month Individual Out Professionals Membership (new or renewal) PLUS admission for one to “Green-Wood: The Walking Tour” totals just $75. And remember, that buys you a year’s worth of low-cost or no-cost networking and socializing. Order here.